Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Shameless Advertising

The fourth Canadian edition of my intermediate macro book is now out, though the Pearson web page claims you can't actually buy it yet. I have a physical copy of the thing, so you should be able to get it soon.

One innovation in this edition is a version of the Mortensen-Pissarides search model of unemployment, for undergraduates. This model has been with us for a very long time, and has been responsible for some Nobel prizes, so I thought its introduction to undergads was long overdue.

Some people ask me what the difference is between my Canadian and US books. The straight answer is that some Canadian institutions are different, as is the data, and examples. I usually make a joke out of it, though, and tell people that I have to translate into Canadian.

Example:

US English: My friend and I were going to the hockey game. I hadn't put the snow tires on my car, and perhaps I had had too many beers, and I ran into a moose. Boy, am I a loser.

Canadian English: Well, me and my buddy were goin to da hockey game, eh. No snow tires on the car, so she was slidin around a bit, not to mention we had been at the hotel playing shuffleboard and had got plowed. A big moose in the road, eh, and we hit her. What a hoser.

5 comments:

  1. Steve,

    I love the intermediate book. I hope you take down the Mankiw empire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I would like it if everyone used my book, but that hasn't been the goal. I'm trying to represent contemporary macro as best I can for undergraduates, and my publisher pretty much lets me do what I want, within reason. I care about how the book works in class though. I like people to let me know if they think something in it isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should think of getting your book on myeconlab (Pearson Learning Management system). Their other intermediate texts are on it. I think instructors who do not have access to a TA will be helped a lot by it.

      Delete
  3. Going to use it in the Spring at UMass Dartmouth for intermediate macro. I was doubtful about Champ, Freeman and Haslag's Modeling Monetary Economies for my current monetary theory course but it was surprisingly received quite well! So I am all ready to be surprised again :) Will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the Canadian edition of your book, but my impression of other Canadian editions of intermediate macro texts is that they tend to have more prominent and earlier treament of the open economy. European editions, on the other hand, tend to focus more on the labour market and unemployment, particularly hysteresis. The other big difference is spelling (e.g. labour rather than labor).

    ReplyDelete